May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!
~ Robert Frost


Welcome to my blog. This is my story of how I faced my risk of breast cancer, the decisions I made, the support I received and my week by week recovery from surgery. I chose to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (March 2010). For more information on my 'Medical Team' please see tab above. I also have a wonderful circle of friends who have supported me throughout. They have provided us with lots of delicious meals and desserts. Many of those recipes are included above under "Feed the Flap" recipes. "Feed the Flap" is a term I coined when trying to increase my abdominal (fat) flap to ensure that I was a good candidate for the DIEP procedure. This was not something recommended by any medical professional, it was just something that made sense to me. I think it worked!! Feel free to join me on this journey and feel free to post comments.

Select the tabs on the left side marked Week 1, Week 2, Week 3..... to go immediately to the surgical/recovery part of this blog.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Still Deciding....

It has been a month or so since I last posted. Nothing new has happened. Still waiting for appt. with breast surgeon in Boston on Monday the 30th. I know that I will make the decision on Monday as I am meeting with the breast surgeon. She has requested all of my information/tissue samples ahead of time and will have a very good handle on all of my risk factors. I am feeling a bit scared, but at the same time I am just so ready to have this all behind me.

In the last week I have been studying my 2010 calendar very closely trying to target the 'right' time for surgery and recovery. THERE IS NO GOOD TIME! If I pick a winter date will I run into a higher risk of catching something like the flu while in the hospital and will we have to deal with icy roads (we live 4+ hours from Boston)? If I pick a later date will it run into summer, the season we live for all year long?

I just posted on, so am hoping for some words of wisdom from my online friends.
Related Posts with Thumbnails