For a few minutes I just want to take a step back and fill in some details. When I met with the oncologist at Dana-Farber she said my risk was 50%+. She did not recommend my chosen course of action. She suggested that I wait and IF I did get cancer it would be caught quickly. In no uncertain terms she told me that LCIS is not cancer and that she had never treated anyone for LCIS. She made me feel very small and stupid for even making an appt to see her. I left with my tail between my legs. I told myself that I would follow her recommendations UNTIL I got on the biopsy rollercoaster. My first post-diagnosis biopsy was in May with 19 days between biopsy and results. During those 19 days I did alot of thinking and bargaining.
On the thinking side I realized that with breasts that are 'complicated' and with a family history I just might get a diagnosis of invasive bc at some point. So, I asked myself if I wanted to be 60 or 65 or 70 and having to deal with BM and Reconstruction. The very clear answer to that was a resounding, "NO". Knowing in my heart that the timing is right now, I am moving forward with what is up there with the toughest decision of my life.
On the bargaining side, I did alot of talking to God during that 19 days. I said that if the results were negative this time that I would move forward and be pro-active in reducing my bc risk. I realized that there are two types of LCIS people. Those who can deal with the risks and the alternating mammos and mri and those who cannot. I know which group I fit into now. Different people, different choices.