May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!
~ Robert Frost

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is my story of how I faced my risk of breast cancer, the decisions I made, the support I received and my week by week recovery from surgery. I chose to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (March 2010). For more information on my 'Medical Team' please see tab above. I also have a wonderful circle of friends who have supported me throughout. They have provided us with lots of delicious meals and desserts. Many of those recipes are included above under "Feed the Flap" recipes. "Feed the Flap" is a term I coined when trying to increase my abdominal (fat) flap to ensure that I was a good candidate for the DIEP procedure. This was not something recommended by any medical professional, it was just something that made sense to me. I think it worked!! Feel free to join me on this journey and feel free to post comments.

Select the tabs on the left side marked Week 1, Week 2, Week 3..... to go immediately to the surgical/recovery part of this blog.


Monday, May 3, 2010

Week 6 - Day 1

Every Monday I am so excited. Last week it was "Four weeks ago I was in surgery....". This week, it's "Five weeks ago I was in sugery...." I don't know how long this will go on, but I am thinking that after this week when Monday comes along I probably won't be focusing on the surgery date. In my mind I have the 6-week recovery in my head and next Monday will mark the 6-week date.

At this point in time I really don't have any pain, except at night. It's not really pain, but again, discomfort. It feels like a thera-band being pulled across my chest. Tightness. I am taking only 2 Tylenol before bed now and nothing during the day (most days).

Every morning (7 days/week) I am exercising for 45 minutes. It's keeping me in shape. My arms still need to do more stretching. It's easy to run my fingers up the wall, but when laying on my back with my shoulders over my head I can really feel the stretch. I need to do more of those stretches to really get the mobility back. Plus, while I am on my back, I am going to try some crunches today. Everything seems healed so I don't think I am going to pop a stitch.

Speaking of stitches. My 38cm belly scar is looking pretty good. The scabbing and glue is still coming off. My designer belly button is looking great. I had a few concerns a week or so ago, but now it's looks normal and very nice. Great job Dr. Tobias!!!  My breasts are healing well. The scabs/stitches are pretty much gone now. They are still numb and will stay this way for a while or longer.

Now that some of my belly sensations are coming back I can focus more on what the sensation of my breasts is like. Before I had the surgery I had heard that it was a bit like Novacaine. Now, I agree. If you've ever had Novacaine and felt your cheek on the outside - kinda poking it. Well, that's what it feels like when I poke my breasts. I don't know if that will change. But I must say, that that is a small price to pay for the reduction in my breast cancer risk.

That's my post for today. I am not sure how much I will post this week. I hope to put some time into completing MeiMei's adoption video/lifebook. Then, I plan to revamp my website - an ongoing goal.

I love to hear from you. So feel free to email me at bethisrael207@live.com.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails