May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!
~ Robert Frost


Welcome to my blog. This is my story of how I faced my risk of breast cancer, the decisions I made, the support I received and my week by week recovery from surgery. I chose to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (March 2010). For more information on my 'Medical Team' please see tab above. I also have a wonderful circle of friends who have supported me throughout. They have provided us with lots of delicious meals and desserts. Many of those recipes are included above under "Feed the Flap" recipes. "Feed the Flap" is a term I coined when trying to increase my abdominal (fat) flap to ensure that I was a good candidate for the DIEP procedure. This was not something recommended by any medical professional, it was just something that made sense to me. I think it worked!! Feel free to join me on this journey and feel free to post comments.

Select the tabs on the left side marked Week 1, Week 2, Week 3..... to go immediately to the surgical/recovery part of this blog.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Week 2 - Day 3

Last Week:  Wednesday last week was a turing point for me. The paranoia had seemed to diminish, probably as the morphine left my body!! I had been moved to my room on CC6 (room 620) at Beth Israel late Tuesday and slept in the chair that night. Not the most comfortable night's sleep, but I remember not having it in me to move to the bed. They actually moved me from PACU to my floor in the chair, where I stayed until well into Wednesday morning. Then finally on Wednesday morning, I got to go on a walk with Jessica, the first of many wonderful nurses I had on that floor. Other things I remember from Tuesday night is my Aunt Kate calling, but not being able to take the call (sorry Aunt Kate!). I wasn't in any shape to talk coherently to anyone until Wednesday, although I do recall Mrs. Tremblay calling and having a nurse pass the phone to me and speaking with her. I am not sure what I said. It had been rough up until about midday Wednesday, which was the turning point. Later on Wednesday night, when Danielle was my nurse, a resident came in and told us that I would be released on Thursday morning. Mike and I looked at each other and asked if he was sure. Oh, he was pretty certain. That increased the stress level a great deal, until wonderful Danielle double-checked and said that I would NOT be released until Friday or Saturday. They would not kick me out!!!! I think they call that a teachable moment for the resident. Anyway, on Wednesday, I walked around the nurses station a few times and felt so much better. I also moved to the hospital bed in the room and was much more comfortable. Oh, plus the phelgm ball in my throat had dissipated and I was finally able to sleep. We all know how much sleep helps us to heal!!!! Let the healing begin!!! Wednesday was my first attempt at blogging. Mike had been blogging and when I go back and look at his posts I cry. I can't believe how tough his job was, not only with the waiting, but the worrying and then all the disturbing paranoia. He truly was my angel and still is. I could never have traveled this road without him by my side.

It seemed like the minute I moved into my room from PACU that I received a bouquet of flowers from Joanne, Jeff and Haley in Tampa. I can't remember if they arrived on Tuesday or Wednesday, but here is a picture. They made the room smell so wonderful.

This Week: We are headed back to Boston today for a follow-up visit tomorrow, so I don't have any hot off the press pictures just yet. I can only say that I am feeling 100% better than I did a week ago!! I will add photos of today after we take them and after we get home from Boston!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails