May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours!
~ Robert Frost

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is my story of how I faced my risk of breast cancer, the decisions I made, the support I received and my week by week recovery from surgery. I chose to have a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston (March 2010). For more information on my 'Medical Team' please see tab above. I also have a wonderful circle of friends who have supported me throughout. They have provided us with lots of delicious meals and desserts. Many of those recipes are included above under "Feed the Flap" recipes. "Feed the Flap" is a term I coined when trying to increase my abdominal (fat) flap to ensure that I was a good candidate for the DIEP procedure. This was not something recommended by any medical professional, it was just something that made sense to me. I think it worked!! Feel free to join me on this journey and feel free to post comments.

Select the tabs on the left side marked Week 1, Week 2, Week 3..... to go immediately to the surgical/recovery part of this blog.


Friday, April 16, 2010

Week 3 - Day 5

Another little difference is understanding my limitations and accepting them. When we were planning our trip to Boston this week I wanted so much to keep heading south to RI or CT to visit with a an old friend who was so suppportive and a key piece to the puzzle when I was on the fence with surgery. She and I talked for a couple of hours the night before I left for Boston for the surgery and she was just exactly what I needed at that point in time. So, I thought that if we could just head south a bit after my last drain is pulled then we could visit with her. Plus my nephew lives nearby and we could squeeze a visit in with him. BUT, I am now accepting my physical limitations. So, instead of RI and CT we are staying put in ME. That's okay. I realize that I can't burn the candle on both ends or my recovery will be very slow. Even now, everything takes a bit longer. With the drains (even one) I dreaded the whole shower routine. A slight pull on the drain and pain would shoot through my body.

It's very tough to do less. I feel like I should be able to do everything I was doing before, but when your entire core is sore, tight and funky feeling it makes movement difficult. One thing I can do without much difficulty is sit at my computer, thus all the blog posts.

On our little mini vacation in southern Maine we have been able to enjoy the things we love about Maine. We love lighthouses and beaches. My favorite beach of all time is Pine Point Beach, so we always make a point of going there, especially when the tide is out. This beach makes me very very happy!!! So even though I have had to realize that I can't do all the things I used to do (for now) I can still enjoy so many things, particularly when I am with my family.

Just want to thank my friends again for all the things they have been doing. We truly are appreciative of everything and the food is always delicious. I need to add more of your recipes to my Feed the Flap page. Thank you!!!

LIVE UPDATE: By now you have figured out that I pre-post sometimes. Anyway, today was my first drain-less shower - heaven!!! No twinges when the drain would pull or I would accidently drop the drain. No more marsupial pouch for me. I will post photos from yesterday's visit to Dr. Tobias' office when I get home. This morning's breakfast was absolutely wonderful. I consider today to be the first day of my recovery......I really can't tell you just how nice it is to be without that last drain. I have a binder wrapped around my mid-section, but it feels fabulous and the best part is that I can pull my waistband up over the binder - again, like a normal person. Ahhhhhhh.......

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails